The people of St. Bernard Parish with the assistance of good and generous folks like yourself have fed our brothers and sistes in need here in Akron for over 30 years. We respond to the hungry in three ways:
1. Hot Meals Program serves more than 1,000 meals each month. Meals are served on the third, fourth and (if necessary) fifth Wednesdays and Sundays of every month in the Social Hall of St. Bernard church.
Meals are served at 5:30 pm. Volunteers who want to help should plan to arrive at 4:00 pm in the Social Hall kitchen. If it’s your first time volunteering, you’ll need to attend an orientation session to learn the ins and outs of the program. Groups that would like to help must email the coordinators, Tony and Lisa Smith, at: Tony or Lisa Smith
If you are a student, then please download and fill out the Service Hour Application – 2013-2014 and mail it to Lisa Smith at the address on the form.
Here is the 2014 Schedule for Hot Meals volunteers: hot meal 2014 volunteer schedule
2. Bag Lunch Program provides over 2,000 sack lunches per month to those going to work or those out-of-work. Bagged lunches and coffee are provided in the Corbett Center adjacent to the church Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. until 9:30 A.M. Volunteers arrive at 7:30 A.M. A volunteer team also comes on Thursdays at 7:00 A.M. to make and bag sandwiches in the Social Hall kitchen. If it’s your first time or you have a group, please contact the coordinators, Jim Durkin or Pam O’Niell, through the office (330-253-5161).
3. Pantry Program supplies over 300 households each month a three-day supply of non-perishable groceries and available household supplies. The Pantry is open Thursdays from 9:00 A.M. until 10:30 A.M. Volunteers who want to assist in this program can contact the parish office (330-253-5161) to assist with distribution in the pantry or by picking up donations from our donors.
We need your help:
- Donating: We always need food and money. One hundred percent of your donation will go to help hungry people.
- Volunteering: Come and help us serve and share in our fellowship and good spirit.
- Spreading the word: Let people know what we are doing and share the word.
- Praying: Your prayers keep us coming back to be a blessing to others.
“For I was hungry and you gave me to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me to drink.” Matthew 25